Wednesday, September 3, 2008

The biggest lie in this century

Thanks to our "efficient" BN government, I have been looking for things to do or informations that I wanted to know throughout this 4 months of free period. Despite 90% (or even more) of what I did on the internet is not related to my pharmacist profession, I am glad to be having the free time to look up on latest news in computers, technology stuff, cars, politics, and blogs that talk about food in Penang.

Some people ask me : " Why you know so much about computers even you don't study them ?" My answer is because I hate it when people LIES to me ! This does not only apply to being CON when I purchased computer stuff (years ago when I got my first Pentium III computer), but also in my life. Some people tell you one thing but in fact they are telling the opposite, or only half truth.

For example, some LCD monitor manufacturer will quote a very high contrast ratio on its LCD monitor but actually it is nothing but a trick to con consumer who didn't do research prior to their purchase but solely depend on the specs provided by the manufacturer. The term "dynamic contrast ratio" is a term to lie to people about how good is their LCD monitor, but "native contrast ratio" is the accurate way of measuring how good a LCD monitor can perform in dark scenery.

The biggest lie in this century would be "Study hard, get a good job, work hard and you will be rich. " This advice often comes out from the parents or teachers but I don't blame them because they are saying this without realizing that is a lie that no longer hold true in this era. This might be true in the 70s when the parents are taught so but certainly not now.

Many of us have fallen into the "Rat Race" as described by Robert Kiyosaki in his book "Rich Dad, Poor Dad". The most well-spent time in my holiday would be the 8 hours reading this book. When I read, I also think of what he had said and look around me and finds that it is just so true. We always think of "work for money" so that we can afford to buy a nice car, house, home there, luxury item and so on. When there is not enough money to satisfy our need, we just work harder, for a better car, larger house, and more expensive luxury items. Our life is dedicated to
1) working for someone else, live on our paycheck as the only source of income
2) working for the bank, paying loan
3) working for the government, paying taxes

Reading his book really give me insights into the importance of financial planning once I got my first paycheck. If paying RM35 to buy his book is too much to you, why not spend a whole day in MPH and just read his book, or use your internet wisely (I pay RM85 per month ok) and download his ebook somewhere. I do agree with what he said " being poor, middle class or rich depends on you", it's your choice to fall into the "Rat Race" trap, working your whole life and ending realized you are in the middle of no where when you retire or to achieve financial freedom and retire early. If your answer is " I am not interested in money" then you are lying to me and I hate you. If you are not interested in money then why you still work for money ?

Robert Kiyosaki's Rich Dad's Cash Flow Quadrant is another good book to read after you finish reading the first book Rich Dad, Poor Dad. This is probably the longest posting in my blog...

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

PH, glad that you change your perception after reading the book. Before reading the book, I also has the mindset of study hard, get good job, work like dog for the rest of my life.
But after reading the book, I feel I need to CHANGE. JUST CHANGE!! I want to achieve financial freedom, at the same time enjoying my life, going for holiday.

I think buying the book is worth it, I am having it in front of me, as a guide to me.

I agree with you that this holiday, I spend more time learning about finance.

Poh Hon said...

I already have the thoughts about investing our income in asset before reading this book, but now I have a clearer picture about what is and how to achieve financial freedom. Thanks for giving me his ebook and providing me links to great blogs like ahyap.com

Anonymous said...

You're welcome.
Let's together learn how to be a more financially intelligent person.

EriN said...

wow...what an interesting topic!!It open my mind but I have one question without education isnt it will be harder for us to success in life as nowadays people tend to look at your certificate and not your capability?At last we still need to study hard and work hard plus smart to get rich right??
Sorry,I am agree with you but wondering how is it?hehe...

Poh Hon said...

We need to study hard to get a good paying job, or else how are we going to have money/capital to invest and build up our asset, right ?

Read the book and you will know more, the author also started by working hard and smart before getting rich. I don't mean to ask people not to study, but they need to learn about how to handle their income, or else the more you earn, the more you spend and you will still be in the rat race.